International Montessori Academy
Covid19 Safety Plan
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses mostly found in animals. In humans, they can produce symptoms that are like the common cold and flu. Symptoms can range from mild to severe. It can be spread through droplet transmission. Infected persons can spread droplets up to two meters, for example when coughing or sneezing, but they do not stay suspended in the air due to their size. These droplets can infect other people via entry on surfaces like the eyes, nose, and mouth through transfer from hands. Droplet transmission is different from airborne transmission; airborne transmission allows microorganisms to be suspended in the air for long periods and inhaled and droplet transmission does not.
The BC Centre for Disease Control has a helpful new online resource for B.C.’s education community. Built for parents, students, and school staff, the K-12 Schools and COVID-19 website has a wealth of valuable information including:
- Health and safety measures that have been put in place to prevent COVID-19 from spreading in schools
- Protocols when there is a positive COVID-19 case in a school
- Shareable resources, like a contact tracing infographic
- Quick links to tools like the COVID-19 Self Assessment Tool and the new K-12 Health Check app
- Frequently asked questions
Check out this new BCCDC website for reliable information and resources about COVID-19 prevention in schools. New information is added regularly. And share it with your students and their families too!